Editorial Director – Shopping and the Week&
Hearst Newspapers is looking for a visionary and enthusiastic Editorial Director to build an ambitious new brand called Week&. Week& aims to help people make the most of their freetime. You will be working to create a brand and content strategy that feels local and authentic and can scale nationally. You have experience implementing a successful brand strategy across content operations, video, social and product. You will create the voice, the on and off platform strategy and the go to market plan. This is a highly visible role designed to make an impact on the future of local lifestyle content at Hearst Newspapers. You will work closely and cross functionally with product, marketing, and the central commerce team. The ideal candidate will have 7-10+ years of experience within a service, lifestyle, or commerce oriented brand. The candidate best fit for this role is a builder -a blank page does not scare you. You want to innovate media and create something new. You are committed to journalistic excellence and understand what it takes to build a brand on and off the platform. You are also able to juggle and manage multiple workstreams. This position reports to the VP of Commerce.
About the Role
The candidate chosen for the role will set the vision for a forward-looking new approach to help readers plan their free time. Pivotal to the success in this role is an understanding of bridging the gap between inspiration which is core to credible media brands, and utility by helping our users turn inspiration into action. This role will blend commerce seamlessly into the editorial vision and execute with the user first, maintaining highest editorial standards. In addition to your role as the Editorial Director of Week&, you will be responsible for setting and executing the commerce content strategy on our three, free local sites: SFGate, Chron.com and MYSA.
● At least 7-10 years of Editorial experience leading teams in various positions. ● You have short form video experience
● Basic understanding of the affiliate space
● You are a leader who is inspiring and accountable
● You understand today’s media landscape and have a perspective on how to enter a competitive market
● You have experience in building and launching something from scratch ● You possess deep familiarity and comfortability with content and data analytics: you are interested in the data and it informs your strategy and planning
○ You can implement a content strategy that marries art and science.
● Audience Development expertise.
○ You can build a cohesive strategy that defines the brand through content ○ You are willing to experiment, engage readers across different platforms,● Ability to work cross functionally with product, marketing, ad sales, BI, newsrooms ● Operational Rigor:
○ You have managed teams of editors and freelancers
○ You have established processes and executed on them
○ You can articulate an editorial strategy and then execute an editorial plan and calendar
○ You can communicate your strategy and plan with senior leadership
○ You can establish quarterly OKRs for you and your team
In accordance with applicable law, Hearst is required to include a reasonable estimate of the compensation for this role if hired in New York City. The reasonable estimate, if hired in New York is $175,000-$200,000. Please note this information is specific to those hired in New York. If this role is open to candidates outside of New York the salary range would be aligned to that specific location. A final decision on the successful candidate’s starting salary will be based on a number of permissible, non-discriminatory factors, including but not limited to skills and experience, training, certifications, and education.
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP represents a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories – growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms – to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger – Your Headline Awaits.
- Address New York, NY
- Salary Offer 250.000 +